Monday 16 February 2009

A real road warrior!


Alright, I am going to toot my own horn here. I mentioned in a previous post that I am slowly learning to drive and how frightening it is for me. So I am pleased to say that I have some good news.

Last Friday I had to run to the store and pick up some stuff and I was going to drive down to the Tesco which is on the way to the gym. It's only about a half a mile away so I felt good about going down there. I stopped for a second and thought about driving a bit further to a bigger grocery store in Chiswick (Sainsburys) where I could do a bigger shop. Before I walked out the door I talked myself out of it. It was a lot farther away and I would have to face two big round abouts.

I got in the car and once I started driving I decided that I would just go for it and go to the Sainsburys. This was a big deal! Not only was it further away, but I had just decided to run out to the store and I wasn't really dressed. I was wearing a glorified pyjamas outfit with sandals and I hadn't done my hair, I didn't look exactly presentable. Which I guess isn't a big deal, but it's a big deal for me because I always worry that I might break down or get into an accident. I wouldn't like be stranded somewhere in my pyjamas and sandals. I also didn't bring my mobile phone with me, which was also a concern. I wouldn't be able to call for help! I know, it sounds crazy but you want to be prepared in a strange city.

Despite all that I drove all the way to the Sainsburys and did the shopping! Victory!


View Larger Map

A few of the streets were so narrow that I swear my heart stopped when a car was coming to pass me. I kept cool and made it there and back. I was very proud of myself. I drove with Matthew on Sunday and I am starting to feel less afraid and more confident. All it takes is practice. It's really something to feel like you are learning something new and to overcome a fear. Way to go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics