Saturday 28 February 2009

A day with my husband


I am sitting on my bed while I am writing this and I can see this very window box sitting on the ledge. It's amazing at how much joy this little box of plants brings me. I added a lemon cypress to each side of the box to give the ledge a bit more flair. I've always loved the lime green color of that lemon cypress.

On Saturday Matthew and I started the day by going over to Chiswick for a breakfast at Giraffe. Giraffe is a chain restaurant in London that does a good job with their breakfast menu. I always get the Ranch Style Egg tostada. I miss a good Tex Mex style breakfast platter and this is the closest I've come to finding it. It's always delicious. There are times when I'm just not in the mood for a big greasy English breakfast.


Ranch Style Eggs Tostada, Giraffe

Amy's Breakfast Burrito.
One of my favorite breakfasts from the Bryant Lake Bowl, Minneapolis MN.

After breakfast we just walked around Chiswick. We popped into a couple of books stores and I bought some daffodils. It was nice to just stroll around. We took the car for a wash and then decided to go over to B&Q (Home Depot) to get some kind of plastic storage bin for the trunk/boot of the car.

While we were in B&Q we had a look in the garden center. I have wanted to get some window boxes for our flat for a long time and I thought there was no time like the present. I wanted to get some nice galvanized steel boxes, but they didn't have any. The flower box selection wasn't the best and all that I could find were fake terracotta ones, which were horrible. Matthew came up with a great solution. He would build the boxes and off he went to find some wood.

I will admit that I was a bit dubious. I think I was more worried that they would be horribly ugly. I picked out the plants and he picked out some nails and a saw and away we went. It was fun to be wandering around the B&Q. It's pretty much the same as Home Depot, except they don't have candy or pop at the checkout. To be fair there is a pop machine although I've never been able to get it work. I could have gone for a snickers bar, eating it on the ride home.

So, we get home. Matthew starts building the box and to my surprise he actually knows what he's doing and the box looks good. I really like it. He only bought enough wood for one box so we head back to B&Q to get more wood. Matthew builds another box and there you have it. Two very attractive, rustic looking window boxes.

It makes the flat very cheerful to come home to. A great big well done to Matthew! Being married to him is pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics