Thursday 12 February 2009

Why am I living in London. part 3


When Matthew and I got back to London after being in Minneapolis we had only two days before we left for Barcelona. Matthew took me there for my 30th birthday and it was an amazing holiday. When we got back from that trip we started planning what we were going to do for our wedding. Getting married in England wasn't going to be possible. Well, it could have been possible, but very expensive. I would have had to get a fiance visa to be married in England and that would have meant going back to Minneapolis to wait for it, not to mention it costing around 1,000.00 US dollars. I then also needed to have a spouse visa and that was going to be 1,000.00 dollars too. Since we needed to get married relatively quickly we just didn't want the extra expense.

I will also say that although it was very exciting to be planning on getting married it was also extremely stressful. I was worried that I might not get a visa and you don't know how long it takes to get one and what if we got married and I couldn't get the visa and I had to stay in the US. Plus you make yourself crazy reading all these message boards trying to figure out how to go about it. We ended up going to see a visa lawyer to get some questions answered, which made me feel so much better.

Since we wouldn't be getting married in England we decided to host an engagement party for the family. We had it a 400 year old pub called The Fox Goes Free and it was lovely, I am so glad we did it. That party was in June and I loved it. I really love Matthew's family, it was so much fun. The setting was amazing, the food excellent and the cake was gorgeous. It was a very happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics