Tuesday 3 March 2009

Bubble and Squeak, in a tin



Yes, I actually ate this.
Was it good? Hummmmmm......
I added a lot of Tabasco sauce.

While I was wandering the aisles at Sainsburys the other day I was having a look at all the unusual foods that were around. As many times as I have seen them, I just can't get over the idea of hot dogs in a can. Hot dogs in a can? I can't think of anything nastier. I do happen to eat dogs so it's not the whole what's in a hot dog thing. Just the fact that it's in a can soaking in brine, is disturbing.

So, I walked by the hot dogs in a can and gave them a little nod and carried on to discover that they sold bubble and squeak in a can. I had once had bubble and squeak in a caff in Brighton and really liked it. It was like a mashed potato hash brown thing. For those back in Minnesota, bubble and squeak is as defined by the almighty wikipedia as:

Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally, the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays the vegetarian version is more common. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potato until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides.


The egg is resting on the bubble and squeak.
Don't worry I didn't eat the sausage!

Despite the picture on the can looking a bit unattractive I decided to buy it and give it a try. Even the fact that is canned potato product had spinach and cabbage in it didn't put me off. The first thing that hit me after I opened the can was the smell. It wasn't very nice and it didn't help that it was a slimy greenish color. The directions instructed me to just put in a frying pan and cook it up for about 10 minutes, or until the potatoes got brown.

It wasn't very good at all, although what did expect? I will steer clear of the canned kind from now on. I will continue to eat it when I am in a caff. I love ordering it just so I can say the name, what a great name for something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics