Tuesday 22 March 2011

Water for Elephants




Today I saw a person reading a John Grisham on the tube. I didn't happen to catch the title, but I did see the his name large and impressively positioned on the cover.

It was really a blast from the past. I vividly remember when John Grisham's were all the rage. It seems like such a long time ago and very American. There the kind of books that you find when you rent a cabin up North in the book case next to all the boardgames. I have nothing against John Grisham as an author, mainly because I've never read any of his books. I think I saw one of his movies....the one with Matt Damon portraying a Southern lawyer, but the memory is hazy. Those books were definitely a trend and I felt a tad bit nostalgic seeing it.

I like watching the book reading trends on public transport. I have the habit of reading the same three books over and over again, so it's good to keep tabs on what's current. 
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series was very popular over the past year. I have to admit that at first I thought they were American and were about some kind of sci-fi cyber punk girl who liked to play dungeons and dragons. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they are Swedish and actually good books/movies. Consequently my sister in law is a big fan, but also likes sci-fi cyber punk girl books so maybe that's were I made the connection. 

Reading on the Underground

I am a pretty nosy person by nature, or I guess curious is a better word for it. Especially if someone sitting next to me is reading what looks like to be an interesting book. On the way home today a woman was reading Water for Elephants. I was drawn in by the lovely cover and managed to read a tiny bit by proxy.

Sneaking a read whilst sitting next to someone on the tube is an art. I have found that some people don't mind if you read along with them. I once had one person tune into the fact that I was doing this and waited to turn the page until they sensed I was ready. 

Other times you can tell that the person doesn't appreciate it. That's fine by me. I just reach into my bag and pull out one of my old standbys. 

Sometimes I enjoy when a person wants to share my reading material, but like I said there's an art to it. I can't stand it when someone starts leaning in too close or moves their lips when they read, but all in all I happy to share my reading materials with the fellow people of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics