Saturday 18 April 2009

Very thankful


Narcis fields near Hillegom
Originally uploaded by Bеn

I wanted to take a moment and mention that despite the challenges I've had with finding a job and a few bouts of homesickness, I am very happy and I have a lot to be thankful for. I have an amazing husband who is my best friend and who has been so supportive. I love our flat in Shepherds Bush, especially since we've decided to stay another year and work on our back garden. I've got a great flatmate who is a good friend and he makes me the best coffee. I adore Matthew's family and like being around them. Thomas, Charlotte and William are just the best brothers and sister in laws that a person could hope for.

Living in London is amazing, it's such a diverse and vibrant city. The longer that I am here the more I grow to love it and appreciate it. I love that living in London means that I get to travel in ways that just wouldn't be possible if I lived in Minnesota. I feel extremely lucky that I get to see the world and live abroad. Living abroad has really changed the way that I view the world. It's made me a more politically aware person. It's also taught me a great deal about tolerance and compassion. I am looking forward to camping trips this summer around England and France. England is a beautiful country and it never ceases to amaze me that you can drive out of London and in about two hours be on amazing stretch of coast.

I am lucky that Matthew has a good job and we aren't struggling at the moment. I can't wait for the day when I get my first paycheck, but I am grateful that Matthew has a good job and one that he genuinely enjoys and work that he finds challenging. I went out for drinks with some of his workmates last week and they were a cool group of people. I am happy that he works with people who he gets on with and that he doesn't dread going to work.

I am also thankful for all the people that I love back home in the States. Everyone has been so supportive. The hardest thing for me about moving away was leaving my friends and loved ones. I've had a lot of people that I've loved very much pass away in my life. My grandma, mom, dad, half brother, my first husband and two boyfriends. The thing that I've taken away from those experiences is that what is truly important in this life is the people in it. Those of you who have lost a loved one know that nothing really seems to matter after that person is gone and it makes you truly question the meaning of life. For me the meaning of life is spending time loving and enjoying the people who are part of your life. I don't care about acquiring material possessions, I just want to spend time with people. That's been the hardest part about moving away, being away from what I consider to be the most important thing in my life.

However, I have Matthew a wonderful partner and I am starting to make friends here in London. I am able to go home and visit and have people come and visit me in London. This year two of my very good friends are moving abroad and I can't wait to go and visit them. I feel thankful that I have so many people to love, so many people that I care so much about. Wonderful friends that have helped me become the person I am today. I have people who believe in me and that means everything.

I am thankful that I get up everyday and try my best to have a good life. I am happy that I am able to help others through this blog. I know if I keep at it and work hard that I will achieve all that I want and find a job in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics