Sunday 2 November 2008

Sunday Night


I have been thinking about one of the questions on of of the advertising applications. The question asks you something like what do you consider to be the best piece of advertising you've ever seen, or something like that. I have been thinking about what my answer is going to be, what do I consider to be great advertising. 

As boring as it may seem, I really like advertising that accomplishes what it sets out to do. If the goal of the campaign is to drive sales then I hope it achieves that. If it's just to raise brand awareness and be cool and different, then well done. 

For the first few months in London, I needed advertising. I would look at ads and decifer that Waitrose was nicer than Tesco. I would see ads in magazines or flyers for clubs and have to rely on visual clues. This also led me to start thinking about design and how quickly I want to make decisions based on how something looks. 

One example. I got engaged to a lovely bloke back in May. We decide to have an engagement party to celebrate with the family who wouldn't be able to make it over to America for the wedding. I wanted to have a wedding cake at the party. After looking at a few different wedding websites to get some ideas I decided that I would really like to have cupcakes. I am sure you've seen it, you have tiers of cupcakes and it looks so cute. Anyway, I started to go through all these websites looking for bakeries in London. I didn't really know anyone to ask so I was depending on what I could find on blogs and so forth. Long story short I came across a bakery over in Primrose Hill. The minute I clicked on the website I knew I had found what I was looking for. 

The site wasn't amazing, but it had enough visuals to sell me on their bakery. I loved the design of the site, it spoke to me. I set up an appointment and went to the shop. I loved the shop, it was lovely and exactly what I had hoped it would be like. I sat down with the woman and made a £200 order. I made this order without even tasting the cakes! I was in love with the design of the store and assumed that the cakes would have to be good. Before I left I told the woman that I thought it might be a good idea to sample the cakes, just in case. It turned out that they taste as good as they look.

I realize that I didn't ever come back to my initial thought about what I considered to be good advertising. I will pop that into a new post.
cheers



1 comment:

  1. "For the first few months in London, I needed advertising. I would look at ads and decifer that Waitrose was nicer than Tesco. I would see ads in magazines or flyers for clubs and have to rely on visual clues"

    That is absolutely brilliant. When you interview, be sure to talk about that. Never thought of it like that.

    ReplyDelete

 
Real Time Web Analytics