Tuesday 28 December 2010

Oh Sew Brixton

The Christmas break is a wonderful thing! My office closed on the 23rd of December and we're not due back until the 4th of January! During this lovely and generous break I've decided to take a dress making workshop at Oh Sew Brixton.  I actually started this course back in October, but wasn't able to finish it. Fiona, the owner and wonderfully kind teacher, let me go on this course instead. She's been very kind and accommodating :)

The workshop started on Monday and since I had been to one session already I didn't need to turn up until 2 p.m. There are six of us in the class and it runs from 10-5 for three days. It's for beginners, the requirements being that you can at least sew a straight seam. I am what you call a beginner sewer. I've made pillows and crafty things, but have not really gotten into sewing clothes from a pattern. 

I am making a simple 1950's style dress, which is proving to be easier than I thought it would be. It has been great having Fiona to explain how to read the pattern and how to alter the fitting. The small class size gives you a lot of personal attention. It's a nice way to spend the day. You get to learn how to make a dress with an instructor guiding you the entire way. Perfect!

Some of the women in the class are a bit more experienced than I am, but that's fine. Everyone works at their own pace. It's given me the jump start to get back into sewing.  I bought a Janome sewing machine from John Lewis ages ago, back in 2008 and I haven't used it yet! It's definitely coming out and I'll be back sewing. 

I would definitely recommend the Beginning Dress Making course at Oh Sew Brixton, it has been great and tomorrow I'll post up a photo of me in my dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics