Sunday 16 October 2011

My so called British cooking

Cafe Latte original cheesecake and chicken salsa chili. From my trip home 2009.

A few weeks ago I made a pledge to learn how to make some authentic British cuisine. I was going to be making a dish every Sunday and blogging about it. At least that was the plan. I started off strong and made Shepherds Pie, which turned out really good, and after that....well...I just got busy. 


I find that I enjoy cooking on a Sunday, especially when it's a bit chilly outside. I was in the mood for a good chili today and decided to make Cafe Latte's Chicken Salsa Chili. It is so good and one of my favourite things to eat when I go there. My very good friend Cory turned me on to it years ago. It's one of those dishes that's very straightforward to make and you can find all the ingredients here in London.


I remember the first time I made for Matthew and he couldn't believe that I was adding tortilla chips to it. He thought that was crazy, but of course he loves it :) I miss Cafe Latte, especially the cheesecake. 


If you like a spicy chili you will like this recipe. A nice touch of home here in London. If you're ever in Minnesota, please go to Cafe Latte. You will love it!


CafĂ© Latte’s Chicken Salsa Chili 
3 tablespoons olive oil 
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces 
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions 
1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes 
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic 
2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno chili peppers 
1 1/2 cups chicken stock 
3 tablespoons chili powder 
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained and broken up 
1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree 
2 cans (15 ounces each) dark red kidney beans drained 
1 can (15 ounces) hominy 
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 
To make chili:  Warm olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.  SautĂ© chicken 
until cooked.  Add onions and reduce heat.  Cook for 3 minutes or until onions are tender. 
Add pepper flakes, garlic, jalapenos, chicken stock, chili powder, tomatoes and tomato 
puree, kidney beans and hominy.  Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. 
To serve:  Add chopped cilantro and limejuice just prior to serving.  Adjust seasoning to 
taste.  Top with sour cream, chopped red onions, grated cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Real Time Web Analytics